As I’ve gotten older my Christmas list has become harder and harder to make; which is a real surprise when you think about it. I have decided the reason my Christmas list is becoming more difficult to create is the result of a handful or reasons.
1. As I’ve gotten older I just buy what I need when I need it. I used to use Christmas and my birthday as a way to get stuff I needed or wanted that I otherwise wouldn’t have the money to get. Now that I am older and work full time I “have” the money to buy the things I need when I need them.
2. I have stopped impulsively buying or putting things on my wish list. I take the time to truly thing, is this something I want? Is this something I need? Is this something I will use often? I will place an item in my shopping cart and leave it there for a few days. If after 4 or 5 days I’m still thinking about the item, I put it on my list. If I am not still thinking about it or completely forget about it, then I obviously don’t really want it and delete it from my cart. My wants have decreased in part because I don’t have the time to mindless online shop online like I used to. Thank you motherhood.
3. Stuff isn’t a priority anymore. By stuff I mean clothes, shoes, and accessories. Now I find myself wanting new counter tops, back splash, things for the house. I’d much rather have someone give me money to pay a bill or daycare. Again, I just don’t need things anymore unless something breaks or completely wears out.
4. I don’t want junk in our house. The last 3 years I feel like I’ve been working endlessly to get rid of all the clothes and stuff in our house that we don’t need or use. My biggest fear when John and I bought our house was that we would again start to accumulate stuff we didn’t need or use because we have so much storage. I’ve become very lax over the last 6 months and I can see stuff piling up all ready. So over the next few weeks I’ll be throwing away, donating, and listing items to get them out of our house for good.
5. Christmas is more about my son. Instead of getting stuff for myself, I’d rather get him a nicer toy or something he will really love. Wallace is my focus and I’m happy to do without so he has an amazing Christmas.
All that being said, I’m still going to post a gift idea list for someone like myself; someone who doesn’t really need anything, but you may still need to find a gift for. Look for that in a few days : )
P.S. If you are looking for some great Christmas items for low prices, please checkout my items for sale on Poshmark. I am accepting all reasonable offers. I have tons of J. Crew, Anthropologie, and a few kids items.