Hey Guys, it has been so long since I’ve posted anything and I feel bad about that. I keep saying I’m going to do better, but then life gets in the way…. bad excuse, I know. But anyways, I wanted to pop in and give a quick up date on what projects we’ve been doing around the house.
I’ve started and erased, and rewrote, and erased this post several times, but can’t seem to write the post to where I think everything sounds right. Instead I’m going to take the easy way out and just do a list of upgrades we’ve made to the house and have planned.
- New ceiling fan in the foyer. When we purchased the house there was a relatively, albeit dated, fan in the foyer. The lights worked, however the fan itself didn’t work. Because of the style of our house we really needed the fan to help cool the house down in the summer and push heat down in the winter. John’s parents were kind enough to buy us this fan for Christmas ( we really don’t need any clothes or other stuff). We had a contractor come out and install the fan as well as tighten the junction box for the fan in the master bedroom. It’s amazing how a little upgrade and make a room look and feel completely different. (before is on the left and after is on the right)
2. I wanted to share the fan John installed in our bedroom. One thing I really disliked about our bedroom is how hot it can get at night. We have a small circular fan on a dresser that runs pretty much all the time, but it isn’t able to really cool down the room; which is the primary reason we wanted the fan in the bedroom. Before that there was a very dated (think 1980s) style overhead light. I’m really glad that is gone. I forgot to get a before picture, which I do a lot, so an after picture will have to suffice.
3. Hallway light. Again, nothing was wrong with the hallway light, but the fixture was terribly dated and the didn’t give off much light. John found these LED ceiling flushmount lights at Home Depot. They come in a 2 pack and are currently on sale for $40, marked down from $100! I love how we can actually see in the hallway now and the flushmount lights are a more modern look while not having that cold look that can sometimes accompany the modern decor style.
– We are having new hardwood floors installed on Friday! Our carpets aren’t in the best shape and I hate to have people over because of their condition, so these floors have been on the top of my wish list since we moved in. After the floors are installed we will need to get some area rugs and a runner for the hallway. I have one area rug picked out for the family room and we have a hand-me-down runner to use temporarily. I am not sure what it is, but I really hate shopping for rugs.
– Backsplash, the original homeowners decided to install wallpaper in the kitchen around the sink and over the counters instead of a backsplash. Again, not a terrible situation, but very dated. John and I used Christmas money we received from family to purchase backsplash tiles and materials. This past week I had a day off and spent a few hours removing the wallpaper and prepping the area for the tile. Everything is all set, we just need to rent a wet saw and find a weekend when my parents can watch Wallace so we can install the backsplash.
– Crown molding and new toilets are next on our list. I am not sure which we will do first, but I’ll be sure to keep you updated on the changes as we make them.
– Also on the list is painting the cabinets. I want to paint the upper and lower cabinets a very soft gray, but John wants to use a light gray chalk paint on just the lower cabinets. I’d love to hear from you on which you think would look better. Personally, I think once we have the floors in and the backsplash up it may be easier to decide which way to go. But please let me know your opinion.
That is all for now. As you can see we have a lot going on around the house on top of raising a very active 21 month old! I promise to try and drop in more often and give updates. Have a great Sunday!