Snow Days as an Adult


The Lake behind our house. I took this picture on Sunday and the lake was half frozen and half slush

Friday we were hit with a pretty insane snow storm. It started snowing around 10am on Friday and didn’t stop until Saturday night, maybe around 9 or 10pm. I’ve heard various reports on how much snow we got, but it is close to 18 inches! If I stand in the middle of our yard the snow comes up to my knees!!! I remember in high school and college really loving snow days because I knew, or thought I knew, that once I was in “the real world” snow days would disappear forever. Turns out I was wrong and I couldn’t be happier to be incorrect about something. The last few days have been interesting because we haven’t stuck to our normal schedule at all, but I thought I should still share an update on what John and I have been up to over the last three days.

FRIDAY: Friday I had the day off I had scheduled  a doctors appoint and it was my birthday, but other than that no plans.  John’s boss decided to close the office with the impending weather and John was able to work from home. I moved my doctors appointment to 9am which turned out to be a smart move because it was snowing pretty hard by 10am when I left the doctor’s office. On the way home I did run into A.C. Moore and buy some yarn, I’m attempting to knit Otis a new sweater, and then did a quick stop by the grocery store as well. Oddly enough there was bread and milk, but no soup, powder doughnuts (which I was there to buy), or orange juice. John and I celebrated my birthday, sort of, we couldn’t go out to dinner because of the snow, but he did give me my gifts and a Cold Stone Ice Cream cake. We then took Otis on a walk, he refuses to use the bathroom in the snow so it’s always a long ordeal, and hung out on the couch and watched tv and a James Bond movie.

SATURDAY: I got up and made waffles for breakfast, John’s request, then made some taco soup for dinner, some snow day treats for us to munch on throughout the day, cleaned the kitchen, started Otis’s sweater, and worked on The Frosted Pumpkin cross stitch sampler for Wallace’s room. John and I took Otis on two long walks because, again, getting him to go to the bathroom in the snow is a huge effort, then we watched Bridge of Spies and spent the rest of the night just hanging out.

SUNDAY FUNDAY: Well, not so much Sunday Funday for me. John and I took Otis for a walk first thing in the morning. The sun was out, a plow truck had come through, and other dogs were running around so we knew Otis would use the bathroom quickly. When we got back I realized my hands and legs were terrible swollen. In fact, my right hand was so swollen I couldn’t hold a fork. I immediately began drinking tons of water, this usually helps, and put my feet up on the table to wait for the swelling to go down. Eventually I took a 3-hour nap then spent the rest of the day in bed or on the couch online shopping for the baby, we finally picked out all the furniture and decorations except for the glider, and whining to John that my right hand hurt it was so swollen. I left the safety of the bed for one more walk with Otis, dinner, and random moments to do laundry. I can’t lie, I really did enjoy our snow days and I’m not too thrilled about having to go to work today seeing as there is still about 18 inches of snow outside and people are unpredictable when it comes to driving in snow and ice, but like a kid in school, I’m hopeful we will get sent home early. #fingerscrossed


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s